Monday, April 5, 2010

What you see is what you get?

I saw an incredible thing today. I've always hated it when businesses pay people to stand outside and hold a sign or wear a costume when it's cold and / or raining outside. On my way home from an Easter egg hunt, it was raining, windy and disgusting. While I was driving, I saw one of those guys throw down his sign and start running across the street. "Alright, Maddy, he's had it! Good for him!" I laughed and watched as he crossed the road. As I drove on, I saw two women at a bus stop, one holding a tiny little girl. I watched in my rear view mirror and saw what was really happening: The man took off his rain slicker and covered the little girl. He was not running from a torturous task, he was running toward a heroic one.

Too often what we see is based on what we think is going to happen. This man who I would have felt sorry for, who I thought was being abused, was looking out for someone in greater need than him. It was a beautiful reminder of all that is right with the world. No matter how difficult things can be, we all have the ability, and opportunity (if we look) to help others. Losing weight can be a testimony to those around me, showing them that we can do things when we persevere and believe.

As I continue my journey, I hope that I do so with my eyes open. I don't want to narrow my world into what I think it should be.

And I can't help but remember, when Jesus was getting abused, he was actually running across the divide to cover me.

God Bless You and I love you!!!!

Matthew 6:21-23 (New International Version)

21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light.

23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment